Sorry I’ve been mum this week. I’ve started 3 posts and then aborted when I got pulled in another direction… Here are my random thoughts today:
1. Got my hair cut yesterday… As typical, I raced across town after getting off work at 5 for a 5:15 appointment, and then had my hair dresser do a rush 20 minute cut so that I could get back across town by 6 to pick up Little Miss. In the rush of things, she asked if I wanted the same cut as last time (3 months ago), and I said yes. Evidently, she remembered cutting my hair WAY shorter than reality. Totally unintentially, I now have officially short hair. It’s like an inch long in the back, which is freaking me out a bit. This morning, Little Miss was playing with my hair, and said, “Mommy got a hair cut. You look like a Mom.” And I had to cringe. Is my 2 year old telling me I now have the stereotypical “Mom Cut”?! The growing out starts today…
2. I received a new CD in the mail yesterday that I am totally digging. It is Bossa And Roses, and they do remakes of popular 80s songs into a really chill, groovy sound. I discovered them in an airport gift shop in Seattle, where I had to just stand in the store to hear more of the CD. The store wanted $24 for the CD. Got it off Amazon for $8. I heart Amazon.
3. I did my 8K last weekend, and was proud to have met my two goals of running the entire race (no stopping or walking) and a time under 1 hour. I was walking on air afterwards, starting to contemplate a half marathon… That is until I got the race results, and I placed 998th. *cringe*
4. We went to Tahoe last weekend to get one last swim in there, as the water temp is dropping fast. We showed up Sunday afternoon, and the water was the roughest I had ever seen it, complete with white caps and what seemed like 10 foot waves. We donned wet suits (alternating to stay with Little Miss), and I fought those waves for a mere 20 minutes before giving up. The water would pull back, exposing huge rocks below, and then the waves would crash down and send you sailing… As I was swimming, a thought crossed my mind that these are the types of situations where people DIE, and I made the smart choice to head back to shore and my sweet little family. Farewell, dear Tahoe. I’ll swim in you again next year.
4. For my birthday, JB gave me a book about an open water swimmer, Swimming To Antartica by Lynn Cox. After watching the open water swimming event in the Olympics, I had doubts that the book would be interesting, but I’ve found it fascinating. The author would look for swims that hadn’t been done, and would swim with no wet suit for long distances (over 20 miles), and sometimes shorter distances in 34 degree water past iceburgs and breaking ice with her strokes. Makes my open water swimming jaunts seem like child’s play. (But did inspire me to hop right into Tahoe and brave those waves last weekend).
5. I’m lizard sitting this weekend for a 2 month old bearded dragon named Yoda. Must go over and feed it 10 crickets. That should be interesting!
6. No real plans for the weekend. It is beautiful weather here, and am hoping to get in a swim or bike ride (with Little Miss’s new trailer attached to my road bike). Oh yeah, and some extra sleep. That’s always nice.