Last night, [The Man Now Known as The Ex] and I had to practice a bit of tough love with our pooch, Tucker. We had just finished dinner, a flank steak rolled up with feta cheese, peppers, and spinach inside. Yummy. There were strings holding the steak in its rolled up position while we cooked it.
As I was cleaning up the mess, I placed the strings in the trash. I then noticed Tucker had taken a couple of the strings out of the trash. I immediately grabbed him and looked in his mouth. Nothing there.
However, upon a close investigation of our garbage, we found two out of the three strings. Now I had heard a story from a former co-worker who’s cat ate some dental floss, and it cost her $1500 in surgery fees and almost killed the cat. Hence, I knew that a piece of string in the digestive tract is a really bad thing.
I decided that we’d have to induce vomiting FAST in order to get the string out before it hit his intestines. I grabbed my Dog Owners Vetinary Handbook and learned that you induce vomiting in dogs by giving them one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight. That meant six tablespoons for poor Tucker.
I measured it out, put it in a bowl, and sat on the ground next to Tucker, trying to convince him to drink the nasty crap. As he always tries to please, he took one drink, looked at me funny, and then took another. Then he started to walk away. I called him back, and realized there was no getting him to do this voluntarily.
I called in the troops (aka [The Man Now Known as The Ex]), and we dumped the peroxide into a glass and headed for the back porch. He held Tucker’s mouth open while I poured. The stuff fizzed up, and I think most of it ended up on [The Man Now Known as The Ex] instead of inside Tucker’s stomach. We tried three times. Each time, the dog would writhe, and gag, and then run away panting. Finally, about ten minutes after we started this process, Tucker threw up.
[The Man Now Known as The Ex] disected the vomit with a stick and dug out our prize… A six inch piece of string.
We were both so relieved, but then when the pooch kept vomiting, we started to worry that we had poisoned our dog. I also had to wonder if the neighbors had seen this whole fiasco over the fence and thought we were really trying to poison the dog. After a phone call to the emergency vet, we found out that Tucker would be A-OK.
Well, after about another hour and a few more heaves, the Tuck-master is back to normal. I am so glad I bought that handbook, as it probably saved me a couple hundred dollars in emergency vet fees.
Being the ever-loving pooch, Tucker has fully forgiven us, although he was a bit wary of us for a few hours. It really broke my heart to do that to him, and I guess it was a lesson on what the tough parts of parenthood could be like.